Monday, July 30, 2007

A short story in newspeak

I was on an Indian Airline's flight to New Delhi when I first heard the word. A lilting female voice asked all passengers to ensure that they take all their belongings with them when they 'deplane'. Did I hear that correctly? On my return flight to Kuala Lumpur another female voice also made the same request. That's when I realised that I was acquiring a whole new vocabulary. I am quite familiar with unique Indianisms like 'miscreants absconding', or meetings gettting 'preponed', or how one took an aspirin when one's head was 'paining', or how one could put his or her bags into a car's 'dickey'. But I thought 'deplane' was almost stratoscopically brilliant. The economy and precision of the word excited me.

English is finally becoming more precise, and concise, as it should. Why didn't we think of this before? If one could 'deplane', then we could do the opposite: 'enplane', and the other parts of speech like 'deplaning' and 'enplaning' would, logically, follow.

But why stop there. If we apply the same rules to a car we can have 'encar', 'encarred', 'encarring', 'decar', 'decarred', and 'decarring' (note the two 'r's). And when we go to a bank we can 'enbank' or 'debank' money and we could do it in the past and the continuous tense.

Let me illustrate this with a short story:

"Where is the miscreant?" I asked Sergeant Ishak.

"In the toilet, sir."

"You let him go in there alone?" I tried hard not to make it sound like an admonishment but didn't quite succeed.

"He wanted to do number two, sir!" the Sergeant protested, the pitch of his voice rising a notch, like it did every time he whined. "But don't worry sir, I have locked the door." He smiled, obviously pleased with himself.

"Open that door. Now." I suppose I must have raised my voice a little, if not shouted, judging from the way Sergeant Ishak jumped up instantly, fumbled with the big bundle of keys hooked to his belt and finally opened the door with trembling hands.

The window was ajar. The miscreant had absconded.

"Quick. Get to the car. I know where he's headed."

We ran towards my car because we had no time to summon a squad car. "You drive," I said to Sergeant Ishak, tossing him the ignition keys and encarring on the passenger side. Ishak was the better driver.

The traffic was crazy, but he knew his way. He went through this back alley, and that side alley and through all sorts of housing roads, before enhighwaying towards the airport. Ishak got us to the airport in twenty minutes. I wished he had been quicker. But I could not complain.

"You park the car and look for me at the check-in counter," I shouted over my pounding heart, opening the door and decarring in one quick motion. I cannot let that bastard get away. I knew that there was a flight to Mumbai scheduled to leave in half an hour. I had to catch him before he enplaned or there would be all sorts of problems if I ordered the plane not to derunway. I raced through the departure lounge almost colliding into a train of trolleys, ran into an old man with a red beard on his way to his umrah judging from his clothes, and almost squashed a child that got between my legs, all the while looking around for signs of the miscreant. I was breathless and panting when I got to the information counter.

"Can I help you, sir?" Yes, it was true. They have trained them to be polite.

"Flight AI 216 to Mumbai ... which gate are they enplaning?" I gasped and spluttered.

"C24, sir. But the flight left fifteen minutes ago. It was preponed by half an hour.

"What? How can they ...?"

"I can't answer that, sir. The flight has already left."

I was still sitting on the bench, head on my hands, swearing under my breath, when Ishak sauntered up to me unhurriedly half an hour later. It infuriated me endlessly, but I knew he never walked quickly lest his pants got wrinkled.

"What took you so long?"

"Hee, hee ..." he simpered, with that obligatory scratch of the hair on the back of his neck. "Saya pi' minum." He had gone for a drink. Then he put on his serious face. "Did you catch him, sir?"

I was so angry, all I did was mumble.

"Prepone, sir? Did you say prepone? There is a prepone kiosk on the way to the carpark. I saw it on the way in."

I stared at him in disbelief. I was speechless. For a while I didn't know whether to laugh or cry or kill him on the spot. Then I laughed. "Oh, what the hell," I said, "Where is this free phone? Might as well use it to call home. I don't have much credit left in my mobile."

I saw an ATM on the way to the kiosk and I thought I'd debank some money. The office would have embanked all the salary cheques by now. I will tell my wife not to cook anything tonight. I will take the family out for an expensive Italian dinner. The kids will love that. They love pasta. I cannot let that bastard ruin my day.

(Feel free to continue this story below, but remember to use 'newspeak'.)

4 comments:

  1. After I enwalleted my cash, I walked towards the ‘free phone’ kiosk. Sergeant Ishak was chatting merrily on the phone perched on the wall. Despite the fact that a miscreant has escaped under his watch, he looked totally disworried. An ‘Internal Call Only’ sign was prominently displayed above the phone station.

    “Who’re you talking to?” I asked him after he hung up fifteen minutes later. Sergeant Ishak was grinning as he explained, “That phone is great! I dialed for my mother, but instead I got connected to a young girl with sweet voice. And guess what? She’s working in this airport. This particular airport, sir! What a coincidence. I even got her hand phone number, and its first three digits matches mine. I think this is a sign for above!”

    I shuddered at the thought of Ishak dating, getting married, procreating and thus, retaining his DNA traits in our genes pool.

    “Let’s go back to the station and no detour for a drink, please,” I instructed him. Sergeant Ishak nodded his, “OK, sir! Anyway, it’s not 3:30pm yet.”

    The way he expertly weaved through the city’s traffic got me curious. “How come you’re so familiar with all the small roads and shortcuts?”

    “I learned it from my brother in law Kamal. He’s a clerk in the Tourism Ministry. Since his boss ‘pergi kursus’ most of the time, Kamal and his colleague shared a taxi business. They’ll drive in two shifts, and take turn to punch in and out their office attendance cards.”

    I said nothing. Statistically-speaking those two were the most productive members of our society; two persons doing the job of three.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The term "deplane" has been in use for donkey's years. I've been hearing it used over and over again since the 70's. Generally on American carriers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's an american expression and i've heard it used before.

    the brits use "disembark" which of course being a brit, i much prefer. it comes from the days of shipping (as does "stow" handluggage instead of "store").

    "disembark" originally "undo embarcation" and "embarcation" means "enter a boat [bark], so it is pretty old fashioned. i guess those who coined the neologism wanted something more modern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:47 PM

    England does strike me as being somewhat old-fashioned. Do you know I can roughly guess someone's age from the words they use ? it's weird. Anyway, noticed the google ad. Looks like you're going to be enwalleting some US dollars soon :)

    PS. Shouldn't it be "an Indian Airlines flight" ?

    ReplyDelete